Blu Onyx Expressions

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Living Life Always Looking Up.....

Today started the same as most days.. I took Raven outside, I came back and  prepared her food dish while she sat on the kitchen floor and "looked up" at me, cocking her head from side to side, stretching her little neck  to "look up" even more as she waited for me to finish my task.  You see, she is a small Shih Tzu who is very low to the ground so she spends most of her time, everyday, looking up at me for various reasons, for her food, for a treat, for some affection ....you see, she's trained me very well :>)

Also, the other day, I saw a great picture of dogs looking up, toward the photographer.  They looked as though they were all asking for something,  in that "ah" inducing way, that only dogs can.

These two things got me thinking about what it is like to "live a life always looking up"?  How many times, in our lives, have we "looked up" to someone or something?  Are we all, in some ways, like my little dog "looking up" out of love and necessity?

We "looked up" to our parents, when we were young, because (a) they were taller than us, and (b) because they were how we had our needs for  hugs, kisses, food, clothing, shelter, transportation, and bedtime stories met, at the time. 

As we grew older, we" looked up to our teachers", whose lessons stayed in our subconscious and were magically recalled when needed.

We've "looked up to people", who we admired, because they taught, us, by word and deed, invaluable lessons infused with wisdom. We've taken those wise lessons and nourished our lives.

We've "looked up to mentors", who walked a path before us, and reached back to help us navigate that same path.

We've "looked up, from our knees" to our "higher power" for love, strength, wisdom, guidance, forgiveness and nourishment of spirit.

Now the question is... who, in our lives, is looking up to us, as my little dog does, and what do we owe them for the privilege of  being able to have them "looking up" at us? 

The answer is.... we need to "pass down to them" all of  the faith, love, kindness, strength, knowledge, wisdom and mentoring support that we received, as we "lived our lives looking up".....

After all, that is how we will be judged when we finally get to "look up" at our "higher power" at the end of "living our life". 

Just a few of my musings......... I would love to hear what you think.......

2 comments: